When you reach the elderly stage, you will be prone to having body aches, joint pains, tiredness, and your body can easily catch illnesses. So, should you involve yourself in an exercise during this stage?
You should! Because exercising has a big role in keeping the elderly’s health and wellness. That’s why it’s also a necessary activity that could help them achieve a healthy lifestyle.
Occasionally, being old and weak becomes the reason for our grandparents’ inactivity, they prefer to stay at home, watch the television or sit in their favorite chair because they feel like they don’t need it already.
But remember that, supporting their health with activities that can increase their well-being can improve their immunity to fight diseases. It improves their health and wellness, and it helps them to age gracefully.
Benefits of physical activities for elderlies:
- It helps to improve their blood circulation.
- Helping their internal organs to work well.
- Reduces stress and boredom.
- Helps to clear airways, which contributes to good breathing.
- It can help in delaying age-related cognitive decline.
- Keeps the brain active.
- An exercise for elderlies helps prevent muscle loss, which can improve body posture and balance. It could help reduce falls that are at risk for elderlies.
- It helps them avoid isolation.
- Furthermore, it will not only improve their physical health but also their mental, emotional, and social well-being.
Light exercises that are suitable for elderlies:
- Brisk walking
- Badminton games
- Home activities such as sweeping, gardening, watering the plants.
- Walking the pet in the park.
- Light arms and legs stretching.
- Deep breathing exercises.
Elderlies need active physical activity as much as possible. But, they need to avoid strenuous exercises at this stage of their life, and they must only do it for at least 30 minutes, depending on what their body can tolerate. For the reason that overexertion could lead to a negative outcome.
Thank you for reading this post! If you have any comments or something to share regarding this topic, please don’t hesitate to leave it in the comment section…